Saturday, April 14, 2018
This championship selection process is meant to allow and encourage eligible students, already shown to be first place winners in their respective categories, to be more fully involved in the scientific process. By explaining and defending their study to an audience of judges, and responding to questions from these judges, the student learns additional valuable lessons in science and in life even if unsuccessful in receiving the Champion and Grand Champion awards. All participating students are winners.
All first place individual (“Partnered” category is excluded) category winners in the Junior and Senior Divisions are eligible and encouraged to participate in the Championship Competition. Any single student may submit up to 2 eligible projects (first place category winners in 2 separate categories), but can win only one of the prizes (Grand Champion OR Champion), not both.
All eligible students who intend to participate in the Championship Competition must pre-register by contacting Mr. Stephen Schoonmaker (email@example.com) no later than 7PM on Thursday, April 12, 2018. Mr. Schoonmaker also will attempt to contact eligible students using phone and email information provided at registration.
Chambersburg Area School District (CASD) Administrative Building, 435 Stanley Ave., Chambersburg
Championship Selection Process
- Student participants in this competition should be dressed in professional attire.
- Pre-registered eligible students must have their displays set up and operating in the assigned conference room no later than 8:45 am on Saturday, April 14, 2018. The competition area will be open by 8 am that morning.
- Students will leave the judging area at 8:45am with their displays fully set up. Judges will then review the displays in the absence of the students until approx. 9:15am.
- Students will then return to the judging area and judging will begin. Each display will be judged sequentially via the sequence determined by the judges. At the display being judged, the student will be asked to present their project to the judges from their display board using only the information from the display and any models used as part of the display, with a maximum of 6 minutes for the presentation. Judges will then ask questions of the student with a maximum of 4-5 minutes for questions. The questions from the judges will be based on the scoring criteria (Science Projects, Engineering/Technical Projects) so as to allow judges to assign scores for each of the criteria to each student. The team of judges will then move to the next display and repeat the process.
- After all student presentations are complete, every student will have an opportunity (up to 1 min) to make additional comments regarding their presentations to the judges.
- Judges then will meet in executive session to select Champion and Grand Champion winners. The decision of the judges is final.
- While judges are making their final selections (11am-noon), parents, students, and the general public attending will be treated to one or more scientific seminar(s) from local/national scientist/engineer(s) in the CASD Board Room. The Championship Award ceremony will follow the seminar(s).